Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Barn Market - what a day!

Well what can I say, I had a fabulous day at my first market and the inaugural Barn Market on Saturday 13th February. Having not experienced a market, as a stall holder before, I can only say that this was the best way to start and I am truly thankful to have been involved.

Miriam & Helen did a fantastic job of organising the big day, with plenty of advertising prior, including a write up in The Mercury. The barn looked great and was an amazing venue! Despite the rain people turned up in droves and there was a constant flow of customers all day.

I had 4 or 5 nights of staying up till 12:30am - 1:00am finishing all my garments & accessories and making sure everything was labelled, priced and I had everything for the set up of my stall.

I arrived bright and early - just after 8am (one of the first) and was greeted by both Miriam & Helen who introduced themselves and showed me to my table. They had also left a lovely gift for each stallholder - a mini noodle box with lollipops, musk lollies, a tea bag and some safety pins - how nice!

I was right next to the lovely Courtney from Silver Nutmeg & A Golden Pear Designs with her beautiful girls skirts, dresses, brooches, hair ties, applique singlets, owl softies and more. We hit it off straight away and it was great to have someone to chat to during the day. Check out her blog and beautiful creations.

I met and chatted to other stallholders on the day including, BJ from Junkyard Bugs, Becky & her mum from Miss Chief Designs, Grace from Little Black Crow Studio, the lovely girls from Ella Made That and the yummy TasFudge.

I had my lovely husband & daughters come to visit me during the day (they also brought me some beautiful red roses for valentines day - very unexpected!) Thanks to all my family and friends who came to visit the market and support me and the other stallholders, it was very much appreciated. A big thank you to my brother Tim who took some great photos of my stall and others - you can see his photos on Flickr.

I received some lovely comments about my products and I even made some sales - yippee! I had no expectations of the day and I really just wanted to give it a go and have some fun, so having people like my work and make purchases was a bonus.

There was also several buskers, a sausage sizzle, coffee, yummy fudge, the Party Booth (a portable photo booth for hire) and the paper marbling workshop put on by Miriam.

All in all it was a fantastic day, full of atmosphere, lovely stallholders and customers. The next Barn Market is Saturday 10th April from 10am to 3pm. Unfortunately I won't be able to be at the next one as I am taking my daughter to see The Wizard of Oz at the Theatre Royal but I certainly intend to join the girls again later in the year.



My stall


Girls Applique Tees


Boys Applique Tees


Fabric Cards


Headscarves and Fabric Knotty Necklaces

6 comments:

  1. your stalls looks fantastic! glad you had a good time. i see you're going to have a stall at Matilda's Market, will see you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Isis, yes very excited about Mathilda's - see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia - wow!
    Your stall looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sophie, I got some lovely comments on the day as well. I'm really glad with how it turned out first time around. Have a few more ideas for the next market as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow Sonia it looks fantastic. I was so disappointed I couldn't get there! When's your next stall?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tina, thanks for your comment. My next stall will be at Handmade Hobart, Harrington St on Sat 20th March and then Mathilda's Market, Hobart Function Centre on Sat 27th Market.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read all your comments and try to respond to them all individually, if I don't I hope you understand :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails